One of my goals for 2023 is to read 75 books – 50 fiction and 25 non-fiction. I’m likely to offended at least one person by saying that I have no game plan for accomplishing this goal. I’m just going to wing it…what could go wrong?
Toward the end of 2022, I started tracking the books I read using a GoodReads account. And because I’m a bit OCD, I went back and rated all the books that I could remember reading throughout the year. I ended up logging 66 books for the year! So I feel like 75 books for 2023 shouldn’t be too much of a stretch.
Along the way, I ran into books that I read long ago, so I rated those as well. I do not have any plans to write reviews on that platform, but having a log of the books I’ve read is handy. My memory is not as sharp as it was before I became a mom, and I cannot tell you how many books I’ve picked up only to realize I’ve already read them.
I also do not plan on writing reviews for most of these books here, but if I do happen to love one and what to share more details about it, I will be sure to link the post! I will add the star rating I gave the book on GoodReads, in case anyone is curious and doesn’t want to go to that platform.
My rating will be in the brackets after the author’s name. All ratings are out of 5 stars. I’m typically more critical of fiction books, and I barely ever give one 5 stars. 3 is considered average in my mind. 4 means I am recommending it to friends.
On the flip side, if I learn something from a non-fiction book that I did not already know and I found it engaging, then it gets 5 stars. The less valuable I found the information, the fewer the stars.
New books will be added on Sundays!
- A Witch’s Guide to Fake Dating a Demon by Sarah Hawley 
- An Enchantment of Ravens by Margaret Rogerson 
- Mysteries of Thorn Manor (Sorcery of Thorns #1.5) by Margaret Rogerson 
- Lightlark (Lightlark #1) by Alex Aster
- The Serpent and the Wings of Night (Crowns of Nyazia #1) by Carissa Broadbent 
- A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses #3.1) by Sarah J. Mass 
- Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #1) by Maggie Stiefvater 
- The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #2) by Michelle Hodkin 
- The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #1) by Michelle Hodkin 
- A Court of Silver Flames (A Court of Thorns and Roses #4) by Sarah J. Mass 
- The Cruel Prince (The Fold of the Air #1) by Holly Black 
- The Poison Season by Mara Rutherford 
- Finale (Caraval #3) by Stephanie Garber 
- Half A Soul by Olivia Atwater 
- Legendary (Caraval #2) by Stephanie Garber 
- The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You by Elaine N. Aron 
- The Science of Storytelling by Will Starr 
- Writing With Cold Feet: The Secrets of How to Write When You Are NOT Writing by Kathrin Lake 
- Bittersweet: How Sorrow and Longing Make Us Whole by Susan Cain 
- Notes on a Nervous Planet by Matt Haig 
- The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller by John Truby 
- Word Painting: A Guide to Writing More Descriptively by REveca McClanahan 
- The Compass of Character: Creating Complex Motivation for Compelling Characters in Fiction, Film, and TV by David Corbett 
- Why I Wake Early by Mary Oliver 
Do you have a reading goal for the year? Any books you are looking forward to or recommend I read in 2023? Let me know in the comments!